One Year Mark

One year of doodles

Today marks the one year anniversary of Larry Roibal Drawing On Observations, A mostly self indulgent journey of my obsession with news and my love of drawing. Over the previous year (less two, week long vacations) I’ve posted every weekday and occasionally on a weekend for a total of 289 posts.

Now studies have proven that doodling hasn’t just improved my drawing skills but actually can help my memory and comprehension. Newsweek’s Dina Fine Maron reported recently that doodling in class may be a good thing, I wish my grammar school teachers could have read that.

Thanks to everyone who’s visited, commented, linked or thought enough to post.

Here’s a small sample:

Drawn, The Star Ledger, ABC News, Tad’s Tab, Lines and Colors, Boing Boing, Compose, Cartel Agency, Robert Plant Newswire, Art of Obama, Sugar Mob, I think it’s hilarious when sites from around the world are referencing my doodles, Like this, And this, And this, And this, And this,
Thanks to the Star Ledger, The New York Times, The New York Post and the Daily News for doing the really important work of informing our citizenry and supplying me with newsprint.

I hope some of you stay tuned to see what the next year brings.

19 Responses to “One Year Mark”

1. Monique Michowski said:

Mar 20, 09 at 9:46 am

I see a book here. . . and I would buy it! Love your work.

2. dan said:

Mar 20, 09 at 9:56 am

Larry,
    Congrats, Your blog is a great link to who you are. Keep it going.

3. Donna said:

Mar 20, 09 at 10:08 am

Congratulations honey. One year already! It doesn’t seem that long ago when you started doodling on our napkins over morning coffee which led to the newspaper drawings. So whether it was my lack of stimulating morning conversation or not, you have created quite a commemorative piece of work here. When you see them all together like this, it is extraordinary. Some of the drawings really stand out. Nice work and I agree with Monique, it would make a great book!

With love and great admiration,
    Donna

4. Bill Vick said:

Mar 20, 09 at 10:36 am

Many waste their gift but you have not. Since I know you a very long time, the stratospheric level of that gift doesn’t always surprise me any more but each of the drawings, paintings, Christmas cards – even a fine arcing jump shot with perfect finger roll induced backspin :) – I’ve seen brings a fresh appreciation for your thoughtfulness, imagination and skill. Your work brings pleasure to many and this friend can’t wait for the next creation. Keep them coming.
    Bill

5. a brush with color said:

Mar 20, 09 at 10:43 am

Wow–it really is impressive, Larry! Congratulations on a fabulous year. I’ve enjoyed it immensely. You really could do a book. It’d be interesting to watch what things were in the news that prompted the sketches over the year. Go for it!

6. Marie said:

Mar 20, 09 at 11:08 am

Yes! Find a publisher soon–I definitly want a copy of the book! Thanks not only for sharing your work, Larry, but for the years of dedication you’ve put into your art. On the news each day, in the paper you use as a canvas, we hear of atrocities, dangers, misfortune, and mismanagement. Thanks for reworking that material–releasing into the day, for all of us, an energy that feeds the spirit: art. As Martha Graham points out, so clearly and simply, “There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and as there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist … and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is. … It is your business to keep it yours … to keep the channel open.” I forget sometimes how much the world needs each of us, needs our vitality. Thanks for reminding me.

7. Stephen Gardner said:

Mar 20, 09 at 11:08 am

Nice one Larry, congratulations on making the year, Also glad to hear you’ll be visiting the Old Country, I’ll be contacting you with some choice recommendations.

8. Janice Cartier said:

Mar 20, 09 at 2:54 pm

I love this. Really love this. Congratulations and much continued success.

9. Larry said:

Mar 20, 09 at 3:46 pm

Monique, Thank you! Counting my Mom that makes two copies sold. Are you listening publishers?
    ——
    Dan, Thanks. I’m just getting started!
    ——
    Donna, The opposite is true, you’re the best for putting up with my tunnel vision and “lack of stimulating morning conversation”
    ——
    Bill, Wow, hyperbole or not, it’s greatly appreciated, especially the jump shot reference…now, if I could only draw as well as I could hit the twenty footer. ;^)
    ——
    Sue, Thanks, If I didn’t see the statistics I would think your the only one out there some days, Thanks for your frequent visits and kind words.
    ——
    Marie, Thanks for your kind words. I’m so fortunate to have so many English majors looking it. It makes me look smart by association.
    ——
    Steve, Thanks, Donna and I are looking forward to visiting your native UK next month and seeing the country that spawned the Great Stephen Gardner!…and thanks in advance for the recommendations. The last time I was there was as a student in 81.
    ——
    Janice, Thank you for your kind words!

10. Donna Possenriede said:

Mar 20, 09 at 4:36 pm

Hi Larry, We love your blog-drawings and comments. Keep up the good work. We know your Dad is watching you with a big smile on his face. Rich and Donna

11. Alice said:

Mar 20, 09 at 4:47 pm

I finally pulled myself away from my own little attempt at creativity to sit down and look at your website, and all I can say is WOW, and I certainly will stay tuned.

12. Adebanji Alade said:

Mar 20, 09 at 5:48 pm

Great Landmark!! This is amazing!

13. Pat D said:

Mar 20, 09 at 6:32 pm

Not doodling, Larry….I doodle…you help us see faces with souls shining through. That’s what I think. Pat

14. Maisie & John said:

Mar 21, 09 at 6:58 am

Larry,
    Congratulations on 1 year of doodling. You have mentioned a couple of times that Dan calls you with ideas. How about Donna? Andrew? Alyssa? Somewhere along the line a late night or early morning call must have given you an idea. Keep up the good work and leave some time to practice hitting that new club.

15. Larry said:

Mar 21, 09 at 7:54 am

Rich and Donna, Thanks that was nice of you to mentioning my Dad.
    ——
    Mom, Don’t be modest, I know your latest quilt will be a masterpiece like every other.
    ——
    Adebanji, Much appreciated considering your prowess with pencil.
    Pat, ;^)
    ——
    Maise and John, Thanks for the kind words. As you guys know, both our kids are living away at college but even if they were home, they wouldn’t be awake when I’m doodling over coffee nor would they care. Donna, on the other hand has a great influence. My myopic view of events tend to skew towards the political and she reminds me to put some humanity back in my life.
    Thanks again everyone, Stay tuned

16. Krissy said:

Mar 21, 09 at 4:45 pm

Hi Larry,
    Wow, what a year!
    I don’t know what made me think of this, and I know you do more politically related drawings here, but did you ever do a sketch of anyone from the movie Dark Knight? Looking at the year review I thought it would be awesome to see Heath Ledger as the Joker in your ballpoint.
    Thanks,
    Krissy

17. Larry said:

Mar 22, 09 at 9:32 am

Thanks Krissy, If you want to play where’s Waldo in the above mash-up, Heath Ledger is in the far right column, about four doodles down, just below Ahmadinajad, above Marilyn Monroe and to the right of Antonin Scalia (I know, you didn’t think it was possible to be to the right of Scalia) or see The Dark Night I doodled on the morning of opening night, July 17, 2008.

18. Micky said:

Mar 22, 09 at 10:31 pm

All the book requests—yes, I second them! You are on my “cada dia” list of blogs to check daily. You are sharing a gift you have that seems to also be a passion. Thank you for being a little blip I look for on my radar. (These would be an excellent frame-worthy post card box set!!!!!)
    Don’t Stop….

19. Larry said:

Mar 23, 09 at 6:00 am

Thank you Micky, much appreciated.